We know you are excited to fill your new barrels and our goal is your complete satisfaction with our products. We urge you to take the time to review the tips below for getting the best results.
- Fill the barrel with 20 liters of filtered, chlorine-free, lukewarm water.
- Position the barrel to be standing vertically (on one of the heads) and wait for two hours minimum.
- Flip the barrel onto the other head and wait for two hours minimum.
- Lay down the barrel, bung up, then remove the bung. If there are no leaks present and there is a vacuum when the bung is removed, the barrel should be liquid tight. Then, let the barrel swell without a bung for 30 minutes.
- Empty the barrel, bung hole down, and let the barrel drain and dry without a bung for 8 hours or overnight. The wood will continue to swell by absorbing moisture.
The ideal storage conditions are:
- A clean and enclosed location to avoid contamination, drafts and sunlight.
- Keep barrels in their original packaging (plastic and cardboard).
- Temperature below 20°C and air humidity above 70% to maintain the wood's moisture.